If you have a brick home or business and the mortar in between the bricks is starting to deteriorate away due to water or harsh Chicago weather conditions, then you have a problem. Fortunately, at the Stone & Brick Masonry Group, we have a cure for that, it's called tuck-pointing.
When mortar joints become damaged, the most cost-effective solution that a homeowner can take is to repair affected areas via tuckpointing.
In the simplest terms, “Tuck pointing” is a repair process where mortar between the bricks is replaced to prevent further cracking and brick decay. Tuckpointing prevents moisture from getting into the walls of your home. Mold and mildewing can occur in your home's interior when moisture is present, which creates an entirely different set of problems for your residence. The alternative is to just let the breakdown process continue and once the brick wall collapses, rebuilding the structure from the ground up is the only resort, most times being more expensive than a repair.
We have experience in all types of brickwork to provide superior tuckpointing. We use high quality mortar for all our tuckpointing work, to ensures that our work will last a long time and look professional while being weather resistant.
|Our Tuckpointing process, replacing mortar in brick walls to make it strong and beautiful again.|
Tuckpointing Done Right
The idea behind quality tuckpointing is removing the damaged areas of mortar & brick and replacing them with new solid construction that will stop further damage to your home.
Tuckpointing starts with the following steps:
The first step is to use a special routing tool or grinder to remove the old mortar at a uniform depth, removing debris, dirt and other things that can get stuck in between the cracks. Once the old mortar has been removed or cut away using the router, the next step is to fill in the effected areas with the new color matched mortar, using a trowel to fill in all the grooves, pushing the mortar as far back into the brick as possible. Using other tools, the bricklayer will smooth our any lines and remove any excess mortar that might be left over and they will match the lining with the set mortar as best as possible.
When done correctly, it is nearly impossible to tell where the old cracks or decay were in the first place. Most importantly, tuck pointing prevents your home's mortar from further damage and decay.
Benefits of Tuckpointing
Tuckpointing is crucial to preserving the life of a brick structure.
Benefits of performing needed tuckpointing on brick walls include:
- Our Tuckpointing process is a cost effective way to repair damage and a great alternative to completely rebuilding. Restoring the effected areas instead of having to completely rebuild the wall can save you both time and money.
- When you tuckpoint, you restore the structural integrity of the wall helping you keep your home's structure as solid as the day it was built.
- The corrosion process of the mortar stops and often times the fail point where moisture can enter has been corrected.
- Repaired mortar joints give structural stability to your walls, chimneys and fascias. Failure to repair them will result in the wall falling or leaning making it unsafe.
- After tuckpointing, weather and moisture are no longer create corrosion from inside the structure. This prevents causes of molding and mildew, warping, cracking, decay and severe internal damage to your building.
- If you're tuckpointing a chimney, you can restore the chimney to it's original condition, correcting it from leaning or decaying. Usually the outer layer of the chimney is effected but what you don't see can also be cause for concern. The chimney flue may have have suffered some damage to water, snow or wind and may need to be removed and reinstalled. Our professionals can inspect the flue and determine the best course of action when repairing your chimney.
- Your structures value is intact and often times improved when the masonry in your home or business is in prime condition.